Communications Lead, Tropical Forest Alliance & 1t.org
(two positions – duration: 1 to 2 years maximum-duration contracts, renewable)
The World Economic Forum, committed to improving the state of the world, is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation.
The Forum engages the foremost political, business and other leaders of society to shape global, regional and industry agendas.
The Tropical Forest Alliance (TFA) is the leading global public-private-community partnership hosted by the Forum and dedicated to collaborative action to help producers, traders and buyers of forest-risk commodities achieve their commitments to deforestation-free supply chains. 1t.org is the Trillion Trees Platform, a World Economic Forum initiative launched in Davos 2020. 1t.org is hosted within the Forum’s Platform for Global Public Goods and exists to serve the global trillion tree community.
Why we are recruiting:
A key element for the success of TFA & 1t.org is their global communications and digital presence. To better fulfil that role, we are looking for two Communications Leads who will report to the Executive Director and the Head of 1t.org. Main responsibilities: The primary focus of this role is to develop and execute the communications strategy and activities that build greater knowledge and recognition of the global deforestation-free, conservation and reforestation efforts.
The successful candidate will keep abreast of industry trends and news, offer communications counsel to senior management, provide access to key spokespeople for reporters and help position us as platforms for collective action and thought leaders in the media.
Other key responsibilities include:
- Shaping media opportunities for promoting a forest-positive narrative, pitch and successful placement of thought leadership articles
• In collaboration with the Communications Workstream Network, design and implement a communications campaign that showcases progress, highlights effective company/public actions, and strengthens the forest-positive narrative through own and earned media channels • Anticipating key strategic questions and trends affecting our work, evaluating them and driving proactive and reactive communication engagement, as well as preparing ad hoc position papers/statements in support of specific issues
- Creating communication policies and protocols, including issue management and publications processes (in collaboration with the Forum’s Media and Public Engagement teams)
- Overseeing and ensuring smooth operation of our communications infrastructure and platforms
- Think laterally about innovative and stakeholder-centric ways to deliver content to relevant stakeholders through all communications channels, including through the press, internally, via social media and other digital platforms, and through direct engagements
- Build and/or maintain strong working relationships with Forum media team, news media (print/broadcast/web) including business/environmental media and national outlets
- Manage issues that arise globally to help protect our reputation, working closely with senior management locally and globally
- Arrange and facilitate media interviews/ press conferences with trained spokespeople, ensuring the topic is defined and the spokesperson is briefed in advance with the relevant key messages
- Coordinate the planning and implementation of media events, roundtables, press conferences and educational seminars
- Collaborating with our Operations Lead on internal communications
Requirements and experience:
- Master’s degree in communication, marketing, media engagement, journalism or other related discipline (a focus on environment and natural resources is preferred)
- A minimum of 8 years of professional experience in cross-sectoral work, building global multistakeholder and communication strategies, preferably on environmental issues specifically related to forests and land
- Technical literacy and high-level experience in leading platform management and community building and engagement
- Demonstrated ability to build and implement social media strategy and to successfully manage media crises
- Ability to communicate effectively and collaborate with a wide variety of partners
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills in English; proficiency in other languages, especially Bahasa Indonesian, French, Portuguese or Spanish an asset
- Ability to operate in a fast-paced environment with resilience and intellectual flexibility
- Analytical thinking, the ability to integrate input from multiple stakeholders while
- High standards of professionalism and integrity with a collaborative spirit and positive attitude
Why work at the Forum
We believe that progress happens by bringing together people from all walks of life who have the drive and the influence to improve the state of the world by building awareness and co-operation, shaping mindsets and agendas and driving collective action. Join us and become a driver for positive change.