Vacancy type Individual contractors
Duration of the contract
15 September 2020 – 14 July 2021
Indicative starting date
15 Sep 2020
Deadline for submission of applications
02 Sep 2020
Number of vacancies
Green Development and Climate Change Programme
USD 4,000 per month (at 80% work time). The fees are expressed as a gross monthly figure.
The assignment requires the contractor to be self-sufficient and arrange to be equipped with the requisite professional tools and equipment to carry out this assignment such as a mobile phone and a laptop with standard Adobe and Creative Cloud, Microsoft Office software, and other design and communication needed software.
Community engagement and management, integrated communications strategies and campaigns, and organization of virtual events in support of the green economy learning.
UNITAR is an autonomous body within the United Nations that was established in 1965 pursuant to a UN General Assembly resolution. UNITAR’s mission is to develop the individual, institutional and organizational capacities of countries and other United Nations stakeholders through high quality learning solutions and related knowledge products and services to enhance decision-making and to support country-level action for overcoming global challenges.
UNITAR’s Green Development and Climate Change Programme Unit (GCP) develops the capacities of individuals and training institutions in developing countries to implement the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) and to advance green and climate resilient development. It offers a range of services, including executive training, institutional capacity development, support for national learning strategies, learning methodology development, and knowledge-sharing. Activities are carried out through partnerships with other UN organizations, bilateral development partners, as well as leading learning institutions and think tanks. The Programme also hosts the Secretariat for UN CC:Learn, the One UN Climate Change Learning Partnership (www.uncclearn.org) and is a member of the Partnership for Action on Green Economy (PAGE) (www.un-page.org).
PAGE, a one-UN initiative encompassing five agencies – UN Environment, International Labour Organization, UN Development Programme, UN Industrial Development Organization, and UNITAR, which supports countries to reframe their economic policies and practices around sustainability. Within PAGE, UNITAR carries out a range of green economy learning activities both at the global level and at the national level (i.e. often in collaboration with national learning institutions).
The Candidate will support green economy learning activities carried out by UNITAR, including: building, managing and, facilitating an online Green Learning Network (GLN) geared towards green economy learning professionals; creating engaging initiatives and communication campaigns gear towards PAGE alumni; and organizing and facilitating live events (such as webinar and peer learning sessions) for GLN members and national stakeholders in PAGE partner countries.
- Prepare and publish engaging and relevant content on green learning (including articles, images, videos) for the Network website, newsletter, and other communication and collaboration platforms and channels
- Initiate and facilitate online discussions and provide support to network users
- Take proactive actions to grow the network by building relationships and collaborations
- Monitor and report on membership, engagement, and impact of the GLN.
- Set up and maintain social media and communication campaigns to promote the visibility of PAGE learning activities, increase GLN users and engage PAGE alumni.
- Prepare and disseminate green learning newsletter
- Set up and maintain a communication calendar and other relevant tools
- Ensure consistency in terms of messaging, visual identity and content across green learning tools, channels, and platforms.
Organization and Facilitation of Events
- Organize events to build community engagement and visibility, such as webinars, online trainings, and peer-to-peer exchanges
- Select and brief speakers and presenters in live events
- Manage promotion, technical delivery, facilitation, and follow-up from of live events.
- High quality communication calendar and work plan drafted and maintained (by 30 September 2020).
- GLN initiative website, community groups, social media platforms, and other internal and public-facing communications outputs regularly updated and maintained (by 15 October 2020, and ongoing).
- Database set up and maintained with information on GLN individual members and institutions, PAGE alumni, webinar participants, etc. (by 15 October 2020 and ongoing).
- High quality communication materials produced (such as posts, articles, newsletter) (ongoing).
- Online discussion and collaborations on green economy learning initiated, maintained, and facilitated (ongoing).
- The online green economy learning library is updated with new resources and used on regular basis (1000 users per month by 5 July 2021)
- Online events (webinars, learning events, peer exchanges, expert consultations) are organized and facilitated on monthly basis and are well attended by GLN members, PAGE national partners and alumni
- Peer-learning between PAGE countries has taken place, initiating new policies and actions related to green recovery in partner countries
- Collaboration and exchange by members of the GLN results in the development of new learning materials and initiatives
- The number of GLN members who regular exchange between themselves has increase substantially (500 members by 5 July 2021).
- Number of members collaborating in the Green Learning Network.
- Number of resources shared between GLN members.
- Number of live events organized with participation from PAGE partner countries.
- Timely and quality submission of deliverables.
- Activities implemented with a high degree of effectiveness and efficiency.
- High degree of professionalism demonstrated by the individual contractor.
- Experience in setting up, managing, and growing an online community of practice.
- Experience designing digital engagement tools, products, and initiatives (such as online forums, social media groups, event series, newsletters).
- Ability to identify, track and report on community engagement metrics (e.g. repeat attendance at events, participation, etc)
- Experience of leading an interdisciplinary communications teams across content creation, digital and social media, stakeholder engagement and events.
- Demonstrable writing and editing skills, and a native speaker of English, with an ability to convey complex ideas in a creative, clear, direct and lively style
- Experience of devising and implementing strategic communications plans, including in setting objectives, driving and monitoring activities and measuring successes.
- Experience, technical ability, and affinity towards organizing and facilitating live digital events.
- Organized, with the ability to prioritize and ability to work under pressure, often to tight deadlines. Strong communications skills with the ability to manage multiple stakeholders.
- Self-motivated, proactive, and creative with a proven ability to work as part of a small team and in a pressurized and changing environment.
- An advanced degree in Communications, Journalism, Public Information, Marketing, Public Relations Branding, Media Studies, or another relevant field is required.
b. Work Experience
- A minimum 3 years of progressively responsible professional experience in the field of communication and community engagement.
- Experience working in international development settings and on issues related to climate action and sustainable development.
- Track record of excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience with using content management systems, digital marketing, and analytics software.
- Fluency in oral and written English to native-speaker level is required.
- Knowledge of, and experience in, video and audio production is an asset.
- Knowledge of Spanish and/or French is an asset.
The incumbent will report to the Director of Division for Planet.
General conditions of contracts for the service of Individual Contractors apply.
Individual Contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local laws. UNITAR does not reimburse Individual Contractors for any taxes, duty, or other contribution payable by the Individual contractor on payments made under the Individual Contract.
The Institute does not provide or arrange life or health insurance coverage for Individual Contractors, and Individual Contractors are not eligible to participate in the life and health insurance schemes provided by the UN for its staff members.
How to apply
Send a letter of motivation and P11 form or Curriculum Vitae to [email protected] with the following subject line: “Green learning – Communication and community engagement specialist”
Due to the high number of expected applications, UNITAR will only contact shortlisted applicants.