SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company, employed and trusted by governments and companies globally to provide independent assessments of products and supply chains. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.
It is a highly diverse company which is split into divisions all supplying services which can be split into four categories: Inspection, Testing, Certification and Verification.
An opportunity has arisen in the Oil, Gas and Chemicals (OGC) sector for an International Key account manager based within the HQ in Geneva.
The International business development Hubs are located throughout the international oil trading locations within Europe, Houston and Singapore. The customers represented by the hubs are primarily placed in the global Oil Majors / refiners as well as Trading houses, whom are active across the globe and are moving physical cargos internationally and often between continents. Cargo description covers the full oil, Gas and Chemical supply and processing chain from crude oil through refinery intermediates and blend components to finished products and chemicals.
The focal point of service deliverable is surrounding the independent cargo inspection services covering quality and quantity for cargos of petroleum. However, several additional and fast growing business segments, within the Marine and terminal segments will also be adjoined to the role and the account manager will be expected to be alert to new business opportunities for the SGS group.
As much as it is a customer facing role, it is also an inward facing role working with SGS network around the world, to ensure the network can meet the customer’s requirements and help the affiliate promote their own business objectives.
The account manager will be the primary communications and focal point between the customers and the national SGS operating affiliates. In this position they will be charged with providing the drive to achieve the SGS OGC business objectives.
Key responsibilities for the Account Manager are:
- Promoting the SGS brand and OGC range of services to a portfolio of customers in order to seek business opportunities for the network of global OGC affiliates.
- Forging highly productive relationships throughout customer organisations covering various departments (eg Operations, Trading, Loss Control) and at multiple seniority levels. The appointment of SGS for work by a customer is often dependent on a range of factors therefore having contact with all business influencers is vital.
- Providing and communicating technical and operational support to the customer. Delays to inspection operations have direct costs to our customers therefore ensuring delays are minimised is a key requirement.
- Setting and adhering to customer business plans and customer revenue growth targets so performance of individual accounts can be measured and rationalised.
- Developing a detailed understanding of the business of each portfolio customer and sharing within SGS the market intelligence. This is to support OGC affiliates who have a range of service offerings.
- Cooperating with affiliates around the globe to facilitate business growth.
- Additional assignments as deemed appropriate by their line manager, the Global Downstream Services Manager. The account manager role can be quite varied and new business initiatives might require the adoption of additional responsibilities.
Some travel is expected and therefore the candidate will be occasionally expected to work outside standard office hours.
This is a senior business management role and the candidate will be the primary focus for some of SGS’s key strategic accounts. It therefore demands a complex mix of technical and commercial expertise and experience.
Ideally the candidate will have the following credentials:
- Experience within the fields of, Trading operations, Hydrocarbon Loss control, Cargo inspection or Laboratory, shipping, or any other associated, relevant business.
- Depending on the level of experience this is a significant opportunity for an individual to expand their remit to managing global, blue chip accounts.
- A proactive nature and powerful desire to seek opportunities and follow up leads both internally and externally. Forming an expansive network of contacts within SGS, customers and in the wider industry will be a crucial part of making the role a success.
- Operations performed by SGS is of a global scale, therefore an appreciation of how to work with different international environments is crucial
- Experience of working in matrix organisations and leading informal teams.
- A conscientious attitude to owning a problem, regardless of fault, and ensuring it is followed through to resolution.
This position will be based in Geneva.