Our mission is to defend human rights and democracy through building software that is essential for digital freedom and privacy protection for all Internet users.
ProtonMail was founded in 2014 by a group of scientists who met at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN). And since its inception, the company has grown at a fast pace and today has over 26 million users. Our principal product, ProtonMail, is the world’s largest secure email service. Our second product, ProtonVPN, is one of the world’s most popular VPN services. Our vision is to build an Internet platform for the protection of digital rights, and we are also developing additional products such as ProtonCalendar, ProtonDrive, and much more.
Proton users include leaders of the Hong Kong protest movement, New York Times journalists, some of the world’s largest corporations, and millions of ordinary citizens from over 180 countries. Our team is diverse and dynamic, representing over 30 different nationalities, with offices in Geneva, Zurich, Prague, Vilnius, Skopje, San Francisco, and Taipei.
We are looking for a Public Policy Lead who can combine a passion for technology with a deep knowledge of the political, regulatory, and legal dynamics around privacy and big tech anti-trust issues. You will lead the company’s efforts to engage with lawmakers and regulators in both Washington DC and Brussels in an effort to build an Internet that is safer, more equitable, and freer.
You will identify, prioritize and manage advocacy efforts to drive legislative, policy, and regulatory action around the world. You will represent Proton externally with government, regulators and third parties, while also helping to lead our legal and PR efforts to fight for a better Internet. You will work with cross-functional internal teams to develop and implement policy positions and engagement strategies that benefit not only Proton and our community, but also the world at large.
You will have the opportunity to contribute with your expertise on tech policy, provide counsel on impacts for Proton, and drive real-world policy change.
What you will do:
- Develop and execute strategic approach to achieve company goals in public policy
- Provide counsel and strategic planning to support the growth and the interests of the company in DC and Brussels and other locations around the world
- Position Proton as a global policy leader by providing sophisticated thought leadership
- Identify and influence policies that impact Proton’s existing and emerging products, and help to achieve the company’s vision
- Monitor legislation and regulatory matters affecting Proton primarily in Switzerland, the EU and the US and advise the company with respect to policy challenges to guide development of products, services and policies
- Consolidate government issues and matters into a comprehensive government outreach strategy and lead the execution of that strategy
- Analyze policy issues facing technology platforms and make policy recommendations on how to address them
- Identify and create legislative and regulatory opportunities to deliver on company priorities and promote public interests
- Monitor and research current and relevant emerging public policy issues considering how Proton should work with allied organizations and industries
- Monitor the changes of the public policies, organization structure, decision making process, update the overall relationship portfolio and identify important partners and key figures
- Lead external advocacy efforts, outreach programmes, partnerships, and initiatives internationally
- Work with policymakers, private sector partners and non-governmental organizations (NGOs) on issues of privacy, safety and security, intellectual property, e-governance, content policy and other technology-relevant public policy concerns to build support for our policy positions
- Develop and manage relationships with key policy stakeholders: elected and government officials, academics, technologists, civil society, trade associates, think-tanks, industry coalitions
- Engage directly with policymakers, industry players and key opinion formers to stay aware of important developments in the market and to then positively influence public policy discussions
- Identify key decision-makers and influencers with government and promote corporate positions with those audiences both in person and in writing
- Build advocacy coalitions with industry partners and civil society
- Regularly engage and coordinate with the key government partners in both state and federal governments to secure the government approval, policy support and regulatory permits
- Represent Proton in meetings with government officials and elected members and at public events
- Maintain a clear understanding of business objectives and priorities through active involvement with key management to assure appropriate linkage of business strategies and governmental issues
- Develop public policy positions with the other cross-functional Proton teams (legal, sales, marketing, engineering, product) and communicate the company’s positions in public presentations and with media
- Enhance the policy community’s understanding of the Proton products
- At least 5 years of experience working on policy issues within government/politics/regulatory agencies, preferably as relating to technology, security and software business
- Political and government experience in the public and/or private sector
- Deep knowledge of regulatory and legislative frameworks relating to economic issues, wider policy landscape, institutions and relevant stakeholders in the EU or the US
- Ability to dive into the details to assess legislation/regulations and impacts
- Experience within tech, Internet technologies, new media, and surrounding policy environments, and building coalitions in support of policy ideas
- Experience representing corporate interests with other external resources (e.g. lobbyists, consultants, trade associations, external counsel)
- Excellent project management and multi-tasking skills
- Familiarity with working with politicians and government officials
- Excellent business acumen, influencing and negotiation skills
- An ability to work with cross-functional teams from a wide range of disciplines
- A track record of writing and delivering position papers, articles, speeches, and presentations on relevant topics
- Commitment to acting at all times with the highest integrity, including strict adherence to applicable laws and company values
- Detail-oriented, organized, and driven to follow-through and complete tasks
- Proactive, strategic thinker, strong work ethic, sound judgement, diplomacy and ethics
- Outstanding oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to translate complex issues into simple and clear language
- Perfect written and spoken English required
Bonus points for:
- Existing high level connections in DC or at the European Commission in the areas of digital technology and competition
- Existing experience with privacy or antitrust
- A degree or advanced degree in a related field (Law, Political Science, Public Policy, etc)
- A legal background
- Public speaking experience
- Experience collaborating with people across different cultures, departments and organizations
- Working proficiency in additional EU languages
Why you should join Proton:
- Have an impact on one of the most significant privacy and antitrust policy fights in a generation which will have far reaching and widespread consequences.
- We work on interesting, challenging problems every day. There is never a dull moment.
- Our startup culture means everyone’s opinion matters. You can have a significant impact.
- Our rapid growth means there are many opportunities for advancement.
- The chance to do something meaningful. ProtonMail protects dissidents, journalists, and activists. Our work saves lives.
- Be part of something bigger. Millions of people and businesses around the world have embraced our idea of an Internet where privacy and security are the default. Join the privacy revolution that is changing the world.
ProtonMail is using Recruitee recruitment platform for more effective hiring and better candidate experience. Your data will be kept confidential and not shared with any third parties.
Keep in mind that you will receive emails from [email protected] email or other addresses on the protonmail.recruitee.com domain.