UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, hope
Partner research and ensued due diligence (DD) are integral aspects of UNICEF work towards scoping, prospecting and developing private sector engagements. This area of work, managed for the organization by the Private Fundraising and Partnerships Division (PFP) aims to support UNICEF’s effective engagement with business and private philanthropy entities, while at the same time ensuring that:
a) Interactions with the private sector are pursued in alignment with the organization’s integrity standards, mandate, and priorities and
b) decision-making on whether and how to engage is informed by an adequate assessment of the risks and opportunities that engagements may pose to UNICEF, and ultimately to children.
Core to this function is the profiling, reviewing and approval of prospect partners (i.e. companies, foundations and major donors) and risk assessment of activities considered by UNICEF for non-commercial interactions (i.e. funding engagements and co-branded partnerships).
UNICEF Partnerships Advisory Support Services (PASS) team is looking for additional support to regular operations due to the recent workload increase related to Covid-19 outbreak, to ensure business continuity and timely service delivery. In addition, the team will require additional research and reporting support for the profiling and analysis of companies identified as prospects for high value partnerships.
How can you make a difference?
Under the general supervision of Corporate Research Manager and working closely with the Corporate Research Specialist, the incumbent will be responsible for undertaking regular and ad-hoc corporate intelligence work as related to UNICEF corporate engagement.
Overall objectives of the assignment will include:
- ensuring UNICEF engagement with corporations and other partners is undertaken in line with existing ethical standards, criteria and policies and the organization is equipped with the necessary knowledge base to assess and managed potential ethical and reputational risks involved.
- Ensuring that audience focused information on ethical business and risk management related to key potential and/or current corporate partners of UNICEF is readily available to users and to Partnerships colleagues.
Specific objectives will include:
- Supporting the due diligence process with a focus on research and risk assessment of companies and business entities considered by UNICEF for high value partnerships
- Drafting due diligence reports against committed deadlines and uploading final reports on the online database. An average of 10 to 12 reviews per week are expected at full capacity.
- Developing audience adequate content related to due diligence research making content timely and effectively available to all users.
Activities include, but are not necessarily limited to, the following tasks:
- Support the due diligence process for UNICEF funding and non-funding corporate engagement by conducting corporate reviews as needed. Ensure that screenings are done in accordance with UNICEF guidelines and policies for working with the business community. An average of 10 to 12 reviews per week are expected.
- Develop content and upload information related to UNICEF corporate research and due diligence on the UNICEF Intranet, Internet, CRM and other relevant platforms.
- Support the team in harmonizing DD reports and ensuring quality of communication.
- Support the unit in documenting and sharing information on corporate research and due diligence related work.
- Identify relevant information (from both internal and external sources) on ethical business and sustainability issues and ensure prompt dissemination among corporate due diligence users and other colleagues concerned with CE work.
- Conduct additional research on potential corporate partners and related issues such as market trends and internal trends for use in briefings, meetings, presentations, etc.
- Corporate due diligence and screening reports in standard format and with standard content against committed deadlines.
- Recommendations and insights on risks and risk management actions to be considered by UNICEF when interacting with companies submitted for PASS review.
- Screening updates, briefing notes and other documentation related to PASS.
- Briefings on sustainability and integrity issues related to strategic industries and sectors.
Estimated duration of the contract and Proposal:
It is anticipated that the assignment will start in August 2020, with exact start dates to be determined. The assignment will have a duration of 8 months, full-time. No travel is anticipated.
The individual will be reporting directly to the Corporate Research Manager and work closely with the Corporate Research Specialist on the team.
The assignment will be based at UNICEF headquarters in Geneva.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Bachelor’s degree (or above) in communication, marketing, journalism, public relations or business administration and other relevant fields with a minimum of two years of experience in the development of high quality, polished communication products targeted at private and corporate audiences, preferably in the international development arena is required.
- Experience with research, analysis and partner due diligence highly preferred.
- Ability to identify strategic issues, opportunities and risks, and communicate broad and compelling organizational direction.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, along with the ability to capture key points and actions in succinct formats for a variety of audiences.
- Attention to detail and track record of delivering against objectives.
- Understanding of corporate engagement dimensions within or outside of UNICEF an asset.
- Understanding of non-profit management and the UN system an asset.
- Computer literacy in standard applications is mandatory (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet, etc.).
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of multiple UN official languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) a plus.
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
View our competency framework at http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/files/UNICEF_Competencies.pdf
Please indicate your ability, availability and gross daily/monthly rate (in US$) to undertake the terms of reference above (including travel and daily subsistence allowance, if applicable). Applications submitted without a daily/monthly rate will not be considered. Also, please mention the earliest date you can start.
Individuals engaged under a consultancy or individual contract will not be considered “staff members” under the Staff Regulations and Rules of the United Nations and UNICEF’s policies and procedures, and will not be entitled to benefits provided therein (such as medical insurance coverage). Their conditions of service will be governed by their contract and the General Conditions of Contracts for the Services of Consultants and Individual Contractors. Consultants and individual contractors are responsible for determining their tax liabilities and for the payment of any taxes and/or duties, in accordance with local or other applicable laws.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
Opening Date Mon Aug 10 2020 02:00:00 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time) W. Europe Daylight Time
Closing Date Sun Aug 23 2020 16:55:00 GMT-0500 (Central Daylight Time)ENVOYER VOTRE CANDIDATURE